This building was originally a brewery. In 1857, the Cartwright Estate sold lot 14 to a brewer, Thomas Taylor of Belleville. The building continued as a brewery until 1880, under by other brewers, James Fisher of Portsmouth and then, William, Thomas and John Bowey of Napanee. In 1880, John Downey, a grain merchant purchased the property which included two additional lots. In 1911, the Seymour Power and Electric Light Company purchase the building and operated the powerhouse until 1930 when it was sold to the Town of Napanee.
Abandoned for many years, this historic limestone building is situated directly on the river and underwent complete refurbishment both inside and out in 2013. Now The Waterfront River Pub and Terrace is a 150 person licensed pub serving solid traditional Canadian pub comfort food.