In 1860, John Gibbard, “cabinetmaker, upholsterer, undertaker and manufacturer of sashes, doors, house mouldings, flooring” came to “The Napanee”, as the village was then known, in 1835 leased a mill on the canal. Creating Canada’s oldest furniture factory, he began the manufacture of sash, doors and furniture, coffins and many items, such as fanning mills, for the local farmers. The factory suffered three fires in 1864, 1874 and 1892. Following the 1892 fire, the Gibbard Furniture Company was organized. For 173 years, four generations of Gibbard’s ran the factory, growing it from a small cabinet-making shop into a leading furniture brand. In the 1940s, the McPherson family purchased the factory and ran it until sadly it closed its doors in 2009. Currently, the buildings are being used to build luxury condos being known as Gibbard District, which strives to build on this legacy by honouring the high quality and spirit of community that defined the Gibbard Furniture Factory.