attractions

Attractions

Historical downtown Greater Napanee is home to one of the oldest main streets in Ontario. Visit the locations from its storied past that reflect the personality of the town.

  • The results are being filtered by the character: T
A B C D E G H I J K L M N O P R S T W Y Z
The Campbell House
Home 3 Dundas St. W

Notes

The end of the word ‘Campbell’ and all of the word ‘House’ is still visible in white lettering on the south fa├žade of the building on the northwest corner of Dundas and Centre Streets. Alexander Campbell was Napanee’s postmaster in the 1850’s, as well as a merchant with a store on the southwest corner of Dundas and Centre Streets.

The Waterfront River Pub & Terrace

Notes

This building was originally a brewery. In 1857, the Cartwright Estate sold lot 14 to a brewer, Thomas Taylor of Belleville. The building continued as a brewery until 1880, under by other brewers, James Fisher of Portsmouth and then, William, Thomas and John Bowey of Napanee. In 1880, John Downey, a grain merchant purchased the property which included two additional lots. In 1911, the Seymour Power and Electric Light Company purchase the building and operated the power house until 1930 when it was sold to the Town of Napanee.

The Yellow House

Notes

A surviving worker’s cottage, the building may date to the 1840’s when Madden, a tanner, bought the land north of the road. By the 1850’s, Staats Sager living there. This modest timber dwelling is shown as a dwelling on the 1874 Bird’s Eye map of Napanee and subsequent insurance maps into the 20th century. Everyday structures connected to Napanee’s industrial waterfront were a significant part of Napanee’s evolution from a village to a prosperous centre of commerce and industry.

Town Hall
Home 124 John St.

Notes

(c. 1856) Designed by well known Kingston architect Edward Horsey, Town Hall reflects a Classic Revival style. Constructed of brick, the building featured an upper chamber for community events as well as several roofed outdoor market stalls. In 1928, an extended pediment, with roundel detailing and Doric columns was added, heightening the resemblance to a classic Greek temple.